Category Archives: Cross Lanes Baptist

CLBC Celebrating 60 Years!

For 60 years now, Cross Lanes Baptist Church been faithful to do the work of God in the community and state, in North America, and to the ends of the earth. “Growing God’s Forever Family” is more than a passion statement, it reflects who the church is in action. The church is a multiplying body for the glory of God and for the building up of His kingdom.

Over the years CLBC has reached, ministered to, served, and sent out countless families. Nine pastors have served the church with the current Lead Pastor, Seth Polk, having served sixteen years to date, since 2003. Since 2003 the church has added 1025 members, with over half coming by baptism, and has contributed approximately $3.25 million to missions in North America and around the globe. CLBC has partnered to plant 15 new churches in North America, and has served extensively on mission around the world with hundreds participating in hands on missions.

Cross Lanes Baptist Church began as a mission on December 20, 1958. A small group met in the home of William and Myrtle Frazier to discuss organizing a Southern Baptist Church in Cross Lanes, West Virginia. John Snedden, newly appointed area missionary for West Virginia was present. The group met in the early days in the homes of interested people, in the basement of another church, in a three room upstairs apartment in Cross Lanes, at a church campground, and eventually at its current location on Knollwood Drive.

The first worship service was held on January 25, 1959 and the church officially constituted on March 8, 1959. They affiliated with the Pioneer Baptist Association, the Baptist State Convention of Ohio, and the Southern Baptist Convention. Property was purchased on Knollwood Drive and the first worship service and communion were held in a partially completed building on July 5, 1959. The cornerstone was presented to the church by Hinton McHouston, a stonemason from Norfolk, Virginia.

In 1963 additional classroom space was built, the sanctuary remodeled and enlarged, a new baptistry installed, and new furnishings purchased. In 1965 the church purchased additional adjoining property. In 1970 the church affiliated with the newly formed West Virginia Convention of Southern Baptists.

A new Worship Center was dedicated in June, 1983; a new Family Life Center was dedicated in October, 2005; the Worship Center and original building have been renovated and multiple adjacent properties have been purchased in subsequent years along with an office building.

CLBC at the present has 568 members along with a significant number of children who are in our church family, but are not yet believing, baptized members. The primary continued focus of the church is to love God and love people, to proclaim the Word of God, and to help people come to know and follow Jesus as His disciples!

project 2